Friday, July 20, 2012

Theory into Practice

I have been reading a great deal of Marlene Scardamalia’s work in preparation for my final two papers, finding all sorts of interesting links between her theories of knowledge-building and my own observations and thoughts about teaching theatre literacy in the grade 12 classroom. I have also been reflecting on some of the struggles expressed in previous blogs about how I can integrate technology into my classroom in more effective and helpful ways, and what a renewed classroom environment will look like come September.

In her work, Knowledge Building: Theory, Pedagogy and Technology (2006), Scardamalia writes that in a genuine knowledge building community, “the Internet becomes more that a desktop library and a rapid mail-delivery system. It becomes the first realistic means for  students to connect with civilization-wide knowledge building and to make their classroom work a part of it” (p. 98).

A walk in the lovely, late evening prairie gloom brought to mind some of the tools and approaches that I could see supporting my practice:
1.       Post course materials and move toward a paperless environment.

2.       Pool student online research around key questions.

3.       Allow peer teaching as students hone each other’s papers before showing them to me.

4.       Create an online discussion board, and the expectation of a reflective student blog.

5.       Post short instructional videos by me on common teaching trouble spots such as how to write a thesis statement.

6.       Post expert lectures for additional background.

7.       Create links to online simulations like StageStruck.

8.       Create links to supplementary materials like backstage interviews with actors and directors.

9.       Allow for a greater variety of work to be posted in an e-portfolio.

10.   Engage in collaborative learning with students overseas.

11.   Allow for research around problems.

12.   Engage in online debates, possibly with a sister school in India.

13.   Create more varied online presentations and epistemic artefacts such as videos and artworks.

14.   Provide the opportunity for students to ask questions of experts in the field, such as questions about how they might have tackled certain staging issues in their production of a Shakespeare play.
I’ll look forward to trying out a few of these approaches as the months unfold, keen to put them to use in the creation of a knowledge-building community modelled on the practices of literary scholarship. Should be fun!

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the bonuses to being engaged in learning for ourselves. I find that it energizes me and helps me to see new ideas and possibilities for my practice. I think this is what is happening for you. I wish you well as you implement some of these things throughout the next year. It should be exciting on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts, Annette. The challenge is always to carry through on the great ideas borne of summer studies and reflection, isn't it? Things never seem quite so clear in November! I've very much enjoyed working with you, and look forward to seeing you online in the fall.

      Delete
  2. These are all great ideas John. It will be interesting to hear how the intensity of the past two weeks translates into our respective teaching situations in the fall. And the word will get out that we are engaged in this program... we have the opportunity to model life-long learning for our students. The kids in your class can learn from your experiences as a learner, as well as from your role as a teacher (spread the teaching presence around, as per Garrison's COI model). Good luck + stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Matt. I'm actually not quite sure how to position myself in the fall. I don't want to come off as the guy who started an Ed D and now thinks he has to change everything. Good luck next week, and safe travels back to the land of mid-40s.

      Delete